Thursday, October 1, 2009

Three Vignettes

One: "What do you call a white girl in city heights?" (Lost).
A couple of weeks ago I was driving home from work. I was in the turn lane to exit onto the street I live on when a nice Muslim man pulled up in a mini-van next to me and asked through the window, "Excuse me, are you a little bit lost?"

Two: You never know what could happen at 9:30 on a Wednesday night.
Last night, at about 9:30, Michael and I were sitting in our bedroom chatting, when we suddenly heard what sounded exactly like a parade going by outside our house. Except we had heard no approach. We jumped up and looked out the livingroom window to discover that there was in fact a nine piece horn ensamble playing full force in the parking lot of the appartment complex across the street, which is home to several dozen Mexican families. A small gathering was standing around the band with all the appearances of a birthday party. Michael threw on a t-shirt and some flip-flops and went across the street to join the party where he was presented with a large, fully in tact but fried, fish. I stayed home but enjoyed listening to the unexpected live music, which lasted for about another half hour, while I did the dishes.

Three: We Felt Like Kings.
Last week, upon discovering that we were actually spending far less money than we had origionally budgeted, we decided to treat ourselves with a trip to Trader Joes. (Normally I confine my shopping to the grocery store in our neighborhood with the best deals in the weekly coupon advertisements.) As we walked around the store I switched my normal shopping mentality from "Do we really need this and is it the best deal I can find?" to "Why not?" Michael would nervously ask, "Do you think these peanuts are a good deal?" "Sure! Get 'em!" I'd respond. "Oh they have that cereal I really like, but I guess we don't really need it" he would say. "Go ahead," I'd tell him. About half way through the shopping trip Michael turns to me with a glowing smile and says, "This is so much fun!" We left there with a small tub of hummus, a box of crackers, three boxes of tea, regular AND decaf coffee, cereal, dried cherries, a bag of peanuts, one tub of organic yogurt, and of course, a $2 bottle of wine. We felt like Kings! Afterward we shared an ice-cream cone from Rite Aide, and I bought a copy of David Copperfield from a used book store. It was so much fun.

7 comments:

  1. I didn't see any cheeses on your grocery list - What happened?! You always rave about yours and Michael's love affair for el queso! Que paso mi amiga peliroja?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that was a little TOO extravagant for us. Plus Michael catered an event for his organization and came home with a bag full of fancy cheeses. We had so much that I finally had to make gourmet macaroni and cheese to try and use it up! Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. # 1 happened to me more times that i care to remember while working in chicago. i even had someone insist upon excorting me to the train stop, even though that is not where i was going.

    #3 TJs *is* the discount grocery shopping in Seattle. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I lived in downtown Newark, NJ in 1971, I don't think anyone thought I was lost. They just avoided eye contact, probably thinking I was crazy. I remember walking along a street in Manhattan saying hi to people as I passed them. It always made them sort of hunch up and walk faster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah, Dad has had so much... life happen.

    I really really need to visit you and your neighborhood.

    I got to hang out with and talk to a bunch of international students in Spokane last night. It was awesome.
    I love culture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your life is like a romantic comedy. I love it.

    ReplyDelete